Longboard tricks can be challenging for you if you are a complete beginner. Therefore, you should learn all the basic steps of longboarding for beginners. The reason behind this is that you will struggle a lot in applying beginner tricks. So, spend some time learning the basic steps and practicing them for one or two weeks. The longboarding tricks will never end because the pros keep discovering newer ones. Luckily, we have enlisted the most easy longboard tricks for beginners.
The joy of any riding style is incomplete unless you are riding on a deck that supports your riding manner. For example, you can learn the dancing steps but can not execute the learnt steps unless you have a dancing longboard. So, firstly, you will have to explore some of the complete beginner-friendly longboards that responds well to all the critical conditions you will have to go through while performing tricks.
We do add valuable tips for you to make this discussion as fruitful as possible. And, we don’t make any changes in the steps of tricks that you need apply as they remain the same.
7 Easiest Longboard Tricks for Beginners
We asked the best rider on our skating team (Andrew Norris) to teach our visitors some of the easiest longboarding tricks that newbies can learn quickly. He has been a master in showcasing the tricks over a longboard for a long time. In his longboard tricks list, you will find the seven uncomplicated tricks that are safe, easy to learn, and implement.
The reason behind discussing seven different ways is that you can go through each one and analyze which one would be easier for you to perform. However, before discussing all these different tricks, you need to understand the stances in Goofy and Regular’s longboards.
In the Goofy stance, you use your right foot as the front foot, whereas in the regular stance, your left foot remains at the front. In other words, the positioning of your feet is opposite to each other in a regular and goofy stance. See the diagram below for a better understanding,
1. Ghostride Trick
A trick that we teach every beginner who joins our community is Ghostride Tricks. It is also called the beginning of a never ending joy in longboarding. So, what you have to do while applying this tricks is to begin with your natural stance. Stand in the normal position and prepare yourself for the Ghostride. Below are the steps you need to follow to perform this easiest longboard trick.
Steps for Ghostride Trick:
- First of all, you will have to go to your knees to make your front foot go over the back foot to touch the ground.
- The second step is optional to you; either you do this step once and then jump back to your longboard or do this step twice for better practice. The suggestion is, to begin with, the one Ghostride flip and then go for two flips in one try.
- After a few tries, your feet should touch the ground three times. It will make you ride like pro skaters, and it is an excellent way to practice this trick.
- In the end, you can also switch your stance position for an instance if it does not look complicated for you to understand. It seems challenging; stick to the one-time ground touch and one-time switch over the deck.
These are some of the understandable steps you need to practice regularly. Have a look at the video attached below for a quick understanding.
2. Pivot Trick
The next trick on our list is Pivot Trick. Among the intermediate skaters, it is also known as fakie. When you are going to do this trick, the nose side of your longboard will be used more than the tail side. That’s the reason, why you must understood the longboard sides first. The video given below will help you know the nose and tail sides of the longboard and skateboard.
For the fakie trick, here are the steps you are going to implement and practice.
Steps for Pivot Trick:
- Stand in your natural stance on the nose of your deck. You have to make a rotation of 180 degrees which requires a lot of energy. Therefore, you can not compromise on your stance.
- The positioning of your shoulders is vital while performing pivot or fakie tricks. When your longboard is in the speed, and you want to rotate your longboard, take your beforehand hand towards the knees as this pose makes you feel stable.
- Now take your arms out and try to rotate yourself with the help of your shoulders. Keep in mind that your feet have to be on the nose side. This will result in a rotation of around 180 degrees.
- Trying to rotate the board with more pressure may result in lifting the deck from behind. So it’s just your own choice if you want to lift or just rotate the longboard.
The community of BoardsOnTop and many other experienced skaters believe that the pivot is one of the best and easy tricks to learn.
Shuvit is another common longboard trick for beginners and even it is trending at the end of 2023. If you have learned the steps of the pivot trick well, the shuvit will not be too challenging for you because it has the same steps as the pivot but looks a bit different. In the shuvit style ride, you rotate your longboard and lift it from behind. Get to know about shuvit within a few simple steps,
Steps to Implement for Shuvit Tricks:
- Stay in your normal stance and try to rotate and lift the deck with the board only. Make sure not to use your shoulders while performing this trick.
- Once again, stand on the nose side and rotate your longboard from the back. Your shoulders should be straight throughout the trick.
- During the flip, when you have covered 90 degrees, angle you want to hop, jump and try to land back to the deck on your exact position.
We found it a bit hard to implement but learned after continuous practice. See the short video below to know the steps.
4. Cross Step
As soon as you enter the longboarding world, your seniors will ask you to learn this step as soon as possible. Also, cross step is an excellent practice if you wish dance on the longboard. While practicing for the cross step, you have to make a toeside carve. In this trick, the central body part is your chest, and it has to be kept as forward as possible. Understand the steps try implementing them,
Steps to Learn for Cross Step:
- Try to lean back from your original standing location by stepping your back foot to the front foot. This is the first step to beginning the cross-step trick.
- Start doing it from the end of the deck, so you get more space to perform with accuracy. Moreover, we make such space to step over two times.
- When your feet change their position for the first time, it is easy, but the second one and coming back to the original pose is hard to apply. But you can tackle this one as well by doing practice.
- In short, you change your feet position twice and then come back from where you started. While doing this, you may not notice, but you seem like a longboard dancer to the audience.
5 . 180 Step
180 step in another attractive technique that longboard dancers must learn. While sorting out the best longboard tricks for beginners, we found it is comparatively easy to cross-step, and also the rider looks attractive while performing it. In this step, you go from your natural riding position to a fakie pose where you are standing on the nose side of the board.
Steps to Learn:
- Put your front foot on the side of the boards, and your shoulders will do the 180 at rotation; what also helps with the dance steps is to swing your arms out.
- This position will make you balance yourself and prevent mishaps when you try to dance. Like that, make a rotation of 180 while standing at the nose of the board.
- You look stylish when you are on the tack and doing 180 steps very well. Towards longboard dancing, this trick is highly recommended for beginners.
6. Ghostride Kickflip
So, you have read about the simple ghost ride above and may have tried it too. It is the almost the same riding technique but you need to add a kickflip. Here, you need to come up with more accuracy, perfection, and consistent learning. Let’s have a look at all the steps for kickflipping a longboard with Ghostride.
Steps for Ghostride Kickflip:
- The first step remains the same going to your knees and leaving the deck to touch the ground with your feet. There is no need to change the foot’s location as you will land on the ground when the longboard is rolling at an average speed.
- When feet touch the ground, try to flip the board from underneath with the front foot of your stance (goofy or regular).
- Although this step requires some skills, you can practice flipping a longboard that is not rolling over. In other words, you need to flip the deck with perfection only as the step of touching the ground with your feet has already been learned by you.
7. Frontside Pivot
FS pivot is similar to the standard pivot till you rotate your longboard at 180 degrees. The difference is when you are done with the rotation process, you need to do some other stuff with the longboarding, like flipping it and holding it with your hands. Here are the moves you are going to need to perform.
Make yourself comfortable with your preferred stance on the nose of the deck. Give the board a little push and try to rotate it when rolling at average speed. This requires more confidence, stability, and practice. Therefore, it is essential to keep your body parts safe with longboard protective gear.
Newcomers in longboarding ask any queries regarding their first ride and perform freestyles on a longboard. So here are some of the frequently asked questions that can help you get your answer.
Can you do tricks on a Longboard?
Yes, there are multiple tricks that you can perform on your longboard and seven are the most trending ones. These are easiest tricks to perform as well as learn. In the longboard tricks list, you can begin with Pivot, Ghostride, Shuvit, and cross-step tricks. The other ones are not recommended, especially when you are on the longboard for the first time.
How to do Tricks on a longboard?
First of all, you will need a longboard that suits tricks stuff on it. Because without a suitable longboard, you can not enjoy your preferred riding style. It would help to see the deck dimensions, wheels, and trucks before buying any board. There are numerous tricks, so you have to learn each one with different steps. If you are a newcomer and looking for longboard tricks for beginners, you should explore the shuvit, pivot, and Ghostride tricks.
What is the easiest longboard trick?
We have tried many freestyles and tricks throughout our skating journey but found the Ghostride trick the easiest one. Your feet leave the board’s deck after a bit of push, and then you settle yourself back again to the deck. This is how you perform the Ghostride. Moreover, pivot and shuvit are also considerable for beginner riders.
What are the longboard dancing tricks?
Ghostride kickflip, 180 step, and Frontside pivot are considered great options for longboard dancing tricks. Most importantly, these freestyles are recommended for those riding boards for some time. Beginners should start from the simple pivot and simple Ghostride. Moreover, the dancing tricks are the ones that require complete protection of your different body parts.
If you are a beginner and have an excellent longboard as well, you can use it for multiple tasks like tricks, freestyles, and basic dancing steps. As an old member of BoardsOnTop skating community, I know various tricks that are achievable on a longboard. But we have discussed the seven longboard tricks for beginners that are easy to implement and can be learned quickly. Furthermore, two to three basic dancing tricks have also been included in the list. You will just have to practice regularly any of the tricks for perfect rides.